You are here
Culture as a goal in post-2015
Culture in the SDGs
The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development is the global agenda on sustainable development. It includes 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and 169 specific targets. This is, indeed, a global agenda, the aims and themes of which should be taken into account in all world regions, countries and cities.
The 2030 Agenda amounts to a minor step forward in the consideration of cultural aspects in sustainable development.
We, the UCLG Committee on culture, are preparing the publication of a new document "Culture in the Sustainable Development Goals: A Guide for Local Action". The publication aims to provide practical guidance to local and regional governments, civil society organisations, private organisations, culture and development professionals, and other stakeholders interested in strengthening partnerships, policies, projects and practices around the place of culture in the achievement of the SDGs. The document builds on the work of the UCLG Committee on Culture, as well as on contributions made by several other organisations, networks, communities and individuals that have addressed and demonstrated the cultural dimension of sustainable development.
This document will be published in November 2017. Please, feel free to send amendments to this draft to info (at) agenda21culture.net
Culture in the Sustainable Development Goals: A Guide for Local Action (draft)
In the years leading to the adoption of the SDGs, several global networks campaigned, under the banner ‘The Future We Want Includes Culture’, for the inclusion of one specific goal devoted to culture, or for the integration of cultural aspects across the SDGs. This campaign was also known as the #culture2015goal campaign.
The networks leading the campaign were: IFACCA, IFCCD, Agenda 21 for culture (UCLG), Culture Action Europe, Arterial Network, IMC - International Music Council, ICOMOS, IFLA and the Latinoamerican Network of Arts for Social Transformation.
Four documents, including a manifesto, a declaration on the inclusion of culture in the 2030 Agenda, a proposal of possible indicators for measuring the cultural aspects of the SDGs, and an assessment of the final 2030 Agenda, were produced between 2013 and 2015.
September 2013. Manifesto "Culture as a Goal in the Post-2015 Development Agenda"
May 2014. Declaration on the Inclusion of Culture in the Sustainable Development Goals
February 2015. Proposal on possible culture indicators for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
September 2015. Final communiqué: “Culture in the SDG Outcome Document: Progress made but important steps remain ahead”
What can you do?
- Familiarize yourself with the relation “Culture and the SDG”, and in particular with the arguments that we write in the “Culture in the Sustainable Development Goals: A Guide for Local Action”.
- Use “Culture 21 Actions” to elaborate long-term local cultural policies.
- Advocate for the inclusion of relevant voices on “culture and development”, in the consultations for the elaboration of national and municipal plans for the implementation of the SDG.
- In the elaboration and the implementation of the SDG at a national and local level, struggle to have a culture dimension integrated in as many Goals as possible. This dimension should be explicit, resourced and operational.
- Circulate information about “Culture and the SDG” to your own networks, via email or social media, and advise us of any news about “Culture and the SDG” that we could share with others.
- Do not hesitate to provide any feedback you have on the material provided above.