Towards a new Agenda 21 for culture.
The Agenda 21 for culture was approved in 2004 and UCLG started its implementation. Today, it has accumulated 10 years of specific practices and experiences. We need to update it. We need a new guiding document for cities, culture and sustainability. The process of producing a new Agenda 21 for culture was approved by the Executive Bureau of UCLG (June 2013), started in Lille on 26-28 June 2013, continued in Buenos Aires with the seminars “Cities, Cultures and Futures” in September 2013 and 2014 and will last until late 2014. It will end with a major event which is being planned for beginning 2015.
The new guiding document will be built on the achievements of Agenda 21 for culture, and update its recommendations. It will be more clearly oriented to the implementation of policies. It will provide more space to promote intelligence, good-practices and networking, with more exchanges (peer-review, expertise). It will guarantee that the best cities work together in a global network.
What can you do?
Check out the results of our questionnaire on the current Agenda 21 for culture and tell us how the new Agenda 21 for culture should be.
Meet the pilot cities 2014.
Follow the main steps in the process:
- Our report on the 5th anniversary of Agenda 21 for culture (2009).
- The meeting of the Committee on culture of UCLG, in Lille, June 2013.
- The seminar “Cities, Cultures and Futures”, Buenos Aires, September 2013.
- The World Congress of UCLG, Rabat, October 2013.
- A seminar with the research network COST on “Investing in cultural sustainability”, Brussels, November 2013.
- The synthesis report of a workshop held in Dakar (April 2014) on the issue "Towards a New Agenda 21 for Culture: African Cities take the floor".
Check out the last meeting of the Committee on culture of UCLG (Buenos Aires, 29 September – 3 October 2014) in which was actively discussed the draft of the new document.
Participate to the Culture Summit of UCLG, which will be hosted by Bilbao (Basque Country, Spain) on 18-20 March 2015. The Summit will approve the new Agenda 21 for culture.
Read the final document.